"Your life is an occasion. Rise to it!" - Mr. Magorium

Monday, May 4, 2009

A New Beginning

If you read my Background article from yesterday you know already that medical doctors had given up on me and given me very little time. You also know that the conviction had come to me to turn to Christian Science for healing

But if medicine had given up on me, how could Christian Science help? Well, Medicine looks only at the material body; it evaluates man entirely from a physical point of view. But to Christian Science, which takes a wholly metaphysical view, man is entirely spiritual and the material body is only an image of one's thinking.

So if the body is an image of one's thinking, why was my body imaging disease? Because for as long as I could remember my thoughts had been filled with fear, disappointment, anger, regret, cynicism, and self-condemnation. If you were creating an image of these kinds of thoughts, would it be pretty?

So what could I do?

Step 1: Overhaul My Thinking
I had to begin to see that I had always been a perfect child of God. And as a perfect child of God I was made, as we learn in the first chapter of Genesis, in God's image and likeness. I had to see that the image and likeness of God was incapable of entertaining these negative kinds of thoughts, and therefore I had not only the right but the mandate to be free of them. I had to replace them with thoughts of, as the Bible says: love, joy, peace, longsuffering. The Bible tells us that there is no law against these.

Step 2: Leave the Rest to God
This is not as easy as it sounds. It requires absolute trust, something fearful and cynical people usually haven't developed a whole lot of. So it's time to develop absolute trust in God. How? By immersing myself in the study of the teachings of Christian Science.

That's how I started. Since then, every day has brought progress. Even before I was sent home from the hospital a week ago, nurses were commenting that they couldn't believe someone in my condition could be as strong as I was. So the improvement was visible immediately.

But those were only the first steps. And, as the saying goes, “the longest journey begins with the first step.”

9 comments:

  1. Very interesting, Randall. Nice to see you on the Net again.

    Barb Rolek, a Friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I had your strength, Randall. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randall, I felt it once, and I stand by it. You are a tree. Find the depths of your roots, drive those roots deep, and nothing in here in our spiritual "kindergarten" will do more than strengthen you in the end.

    I will say -- negative emotions have their place. Think of them as early warning lights on the dashboard. If we fear, for example, there is a reason. It is up to our thinking part to figure out what our emotional part is trying to tell us. Usually, it is not the dire thing(s) we imagine.

    The problems come because we humans have a very persistent tendency to try and duck out on facing the problems. (Heck, we try and duck out of anything uncomfortable!) If we ignore them or imagine them gone, won't they disappear? And so the problem, shoved into the darkness, grows and grows.

    Ach! Enough philosophizing! Get me rolling and next thing you know, it's the next day! ;-D

    ((((((((((( HUGS )))))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. (((hugs for Randall)))

    You are one of the strongest people I've had the good fortune of corresponding with. Even though doctors may give up on you, you can never give up on yourself, and those who surround you would never give up, either!! So glad you updated us with a link to this blog.

    Have a great day!
    Rain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Randal,
    Thanks so much for keeping in touch and letting us know about your blog.
    Life is what I think of as the cocoon process readying the butterfly soul for flight.
    My attitude is that we are living as long as we take breath so make the most of every breath and every moment. When we realize just how precious breath is we truly come alive.
    Doctors can only help ease disease up to a point. True comfort comes when we surrender to divine will. Our spirit come fully alive and embraces the wondrous adventure called life.
    Whatever has come before, it sounds as though you are experiencing life more profoundly and on deeper levels. I so appreciate that circumstances brought us together and that you have kept in touch with all of us! The learning we all share encompasses so many levels.
    Be sure to send us your updates.

    Sukhmandir Kaur

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Randal,
    Thanks so much for keeping in touch and letting us know about your blog.
    Life is what I think of as the cocoon process readying the butterfly soul for flight.
    My attitude is that we are living as long as we take breath so make the most of every breath and every moment. When we realize just how precious breath is we truly come alive.
    Doctors can only help ease disease up to a point. True comfort comes when we surrender to divine will. Our spirit come fully alive and embraces the wondrous adventure called life.
    Whatever has come before, it sounds as though you are experiencing life more profoundly and on deeper levels. I so appreciate that circumstances brought us together and that you have kept in touch with all of us! The learning we all share encompasses so many levels.
    Be sure to send us your updates.
    Love
    Sukhmandir Kaur

    ReplyDelete
  7. Randall,

    All I can do is express my love for you. Your positive and strong stance is no suprise to me! I am with you! We will never really be apart- all of us are one in God.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will pray for you Randall. Take each day as it comes, and never give up hope in miracles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Randall! It's so good to know you are still writing! You are in my thoughts all the time. I'm glad you have found a way to be positive about your experience, so many people never find that peace.

    ReplyDelete