"Your life is an occasion. Rise to it!" - Mr. Magorium

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Confessions of a Gamer

Last Friday I downloaded the ten day free trial for World of Warcraft. As a long time player of Everquest, I have to confess that I missed the virtual fantasy world. But Everquest was a frustrating game to play. It's impossible to advance at higher levels without help. It was only with the help of a player whose character was names Zabbaz that I ever saw any of the high-end game. Besides help, it takes persistence and patience to play Everquest. That's why most of the kids have left it, and those remaining loyal to EQ are mostly older players.

So far World of Warcraft isn't nearly as frustrating as Everquest. I'm enjoying the game very much. I consider the joy it brings me to be part of my healing. I am still studying Christian Science daily. And while playing, I listen to recordings of hymns and lectures. So my healing work is continuing, confident in God's promise.

1 comment:

  1. :-) Randall, I love playing CPRGs and strategy games like Age of Empires as well, although I don't game online or with anyone else. But besides the enjoyment, I play at least one game of Age of Mythology a day.

    Why? I have also found it a great way to de-stress. In addition, a game generally takes me an hour to play. So for that hour, I am sitting still and not working. For me, who has trouble breaking away from work, it is a concious way to keep me from overdoing. Otherwise, I've found I keep working past my body's ability and the lupus acts out more.

    *wry grin* Playing "dumb games" is good medicine!

    Oh....and if you don't mind a CPRG that's a little dark but very philosophically grounded, you might try Planescape: Torment. It's an old game, but really interesting if you like a dolop of thought-provocation with your gaming.

    (((Hugs))) Glad you broke back out of the I-gotta's!!!

    ReplyDelete